If you live in a room in a shared house, or a studio flat, don’t be tempted to pack at the last minute. You should allow yourself at least a day to pack and prepare for your removal. The limitations on space will make the final day or two in your living space cramped, so try to pack as efficiently as possible.
- Buy proper moving boxes and fill them to the top, maximising space. Use only 1 – 3 sizes of box.
- Use a higher ratio of boxes than bags. Using boxes will mean you can utilize vertical space, and stack higher, thus minimising the floor space needed. Bags are ok for bed clothes and light/soft things.
- Don’t be tempted to leave drawers in furniture full, UNLESS they only have light things inside and are not over loaded. Ideally you should empty all drawers on furniture and put the drawers BACK into the furniture. We can often move chest of drawers with drawers in, so empty them to lighten the load. We use straps with self tightening belts to restrain drawers/doors on furniture.
- Reserve a box for essential day to day items such as toiletries, purse/wallet, important documents, tea bags, kettle, etc. Mark this box clearly, you will be glad you have easy access to these essential items!
- Try to arrange your room in as uncluttered way as possible, allowing our removal men as easy as possible access to your furniture/boxes.